Monday, February 7, 2011

WWJD - Part 2

(This is the 2nd installment of three WWJD posts.)

I wrote in one of my last personal posts about struggling with the idea of balancing my desire for pursuing photography with being the Mom that Christ has called me to be. This is not a new idea. Admittedly I have an easily-obsessed personality because of my natural drive for excellence, which often morphes into perfectionism. At times it is so bad that if I can't do something well (a.k.a. perfect), I'd rather not do it at all. You can probably see where I'm going with this.

When I started getting into photography, I would spend hours outside photographing various parks in Michigan or parts of our condo community to practice my new-found passion and talent. Very quickly, I became obsessed by it. I would spend hours and hours editing photos and researching techniques and professional photographers blogs and advice. Then we bought our first house and James came along, and I didn't have as much time or money to pursue photography, and I began to feel frustrated because I wasn't progressing as fast as I had nor was I able to purchase the new equipment that I felt would take my photography to the next level. The last couple of months I've gone back and forth between feeling obsessed with the idea of pushing forward and getting better and feeling guilty because I wanted to spend some much time on it. I even began wondering if I should give it up altogether because felt that I was dangerously close to making this God-given passion into an idol that I placed before him in my life.


Fast forward to two weeks ago... I decided to take a week-long fast from photography. (Yes, there were posts on here that week because I set them up ahead of time so that I would not default on my photography resolution.) But for a week, I didn't pick up my Nikon, read blogs or magazines, edit photos or even let myself think about photography outside of snapping a few fun shots of James in the tub or playing with Daddy. When I decided to do this fast, I knew it would be hard, and I feared that God might use it to show me that I had to completely give photography up for Him. But even so, I went into that week ready to hear what he had to say. And I have to tell you that that week was such a breath of fresh air. James and I had fun playing every morning, I went to the gym, I got all my housework done, I had some awesome personal times with God, and just rested. It was a very needed break. When I was done, I didn't have a sense that I needed to "give up" photography, but that I needed to back off from it a little and discipline myself to focus more on my "mommy calling" and just trust God to take my photography where he wants to. It was so freeing!


Then the beginning of last week (my first couple of days back from the fast) I received a confirmation that I had been selected to photograph the Tallahassee Homeschool Graduation again this year! I was so excited, and it was like confirmation that God is still in control of my photography journey, and if I will let him have the reigns, he has an exciting ride in store!

And because a post is just boring without a photo... here's a neat one I took at the park near our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment