Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Balancing work and home

I decided it's time for a personal post again. So here goes...

Recently, I've really been struggling with how to balance being a mommy and pursuing my photography career. It's so funny to even hear myself say that because before I had kids I thought it sounded strange that a mom would be torn between her kids and her job. I always felt like once I had children, they would be my whole life. I guess maybe that was partly because I hadn't really found a job I was passionate about yet. Don't get me wrong, I loved being a Spanish teacher because it gave me the opportunity to be a mentor to my students and be there when no one else was, but I never had any desire for "climbing the ladder." I had no aspirations to become an administrator or even to pursue my masters. I was happy just being a teacher and mentor until God blessed me with kids. Then we moved to Michigan and God started me on my journey in photography. Read more about how that started here.

And ever since then, I've found my true calling and passion in photography. I could (and sometimes do) literally sit for hours editing photos, researching new cameras/lenses/etc., reading other photographer's blogs (like Jasmine Star and Jem Photography) to get ideas, or learning more about photography techniques.

I'm ashamed to admit that sometimes I'm sad when I hear my little guy wake up because I'm thinking, "Not yet... just a few more minutes."

I think it's all about balance and priorities though, and I'm praying about how that should all look. Praying for the peace to enjoy my passion for photography and for the wisdom to know when to put it aside and just be mommy. And I know with time it will all fall into place.


Yes, it actually does snow it Georgia. Although we usually don't get this much. We took the opportunity after our big snow to get a couple cute snow photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment