Monday, February 6, 2012

Simply Stunning in a Sari...

I can't believe that this time next week, the movers will be here to pack our stuff for our move to Spartanburg! 

I am finally back to blogging, and I have several fall sessions to blog in the next few weeks so keep your eyes peeled.  I am praying that by the time I finish posting these fall 2010 rewind posts I will have some new content to post about.  If you know anyone in the Spartanburg or Greenville areas who is looking for a photographer, please pass my name along! 

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Back in November, I got a chance to go out with a dear friend and former student and do a "just for fun" session.  Khushnuma (Numa) was one of my best Spanish students, both a hard worker and a talented language learner... maybe that's because she grew up speaking two languages, English and Gujarati?!  She also reminds me so much of myself a few years ago!  Our personalities are so much alike!  We both stress(ed) over school, and we both love learning about other cultures.

Numa's family is from India, and we've dreamed about going out to do photos in her Saris for months.  We finally found a day that wasn't too hot or too cold and that her mom was free to come along and assist in properly arranging Numa's attire.  (It would have been a little complicated for this incredibly southern... American... girl! Ha ha!) 

I have to share a little bit about the story behind her saris.  The pink and green one at the bottom was the one she wore to her sisters wedding in India last year.  The blue one was her very first Sari.  The way it works in Irani Parsi culture is the material is selected before the daughter's baptism (Navjote) into the Irani Parsi religion (a sect of zorastrianism), and their first sari is made from the material when they become a woman (i.e. have their first cycle).  I love knowing the story behind something!  It makes photographing it that much more special!

The day we took these shots, the clouds gave us fits, floating in and out and constantly changing my lighting, but we still managed to get some beautiful shots.  I love, love getting the chance to photograph someone of another culture.  It is so eye-opening for me and such a fun new challenge!  I hope this opens the doors to photographing other Indian families and maybe eventually even an Indian wedding!  Hey... it could happen!

Have a marvelous Monday!



No comments:

Post a Comment